10 Alpine Resorts with Short Transfer Times
Time is precious when you’re on holiday and transfer time is therefore an important consideration when choosing a ski resort. Fortunately, the Alps offer a good range of resorts within easy access of airport and train stations. So whether you are looking for transfers from Geneva or planning on taking the overnight train to Moutiers or Bourg St Maurice; you will find some excellent options close at hand.
Here is a selection of resorts with short transfer times across France, Switzerland, Austria and Italy.
1. Chamonix, France – 75 minutes (88km) – The transfer from Geneva airport to Chamonix takes just 75 minutes, making this skiing mecca one of the most accessible resorts in the Alps. Geneva airport is also an international hub offering a large selection of flights from all over the UK. On reaching resort, visitors will be able to enjoy some of the finest scenery in the Alps and a huge range of terrain for all levels.
2. Verbier, Switzerland – 50 minutes (54km) Verbier, part of the Four Valleys ski area, is located just 50 minutes from Sion airport. The area boasts 412km of high altitude pistes and is widely regarded as one of the best off-piste resorts in the world. It is worth noting however, that flight options to Sion are much more limited than to Geneva airport, situated 160km or just under 2 hours from Verbier.
3. St Anton, Austria – 60 minutes (100km) St Anton is a lively resort with a large linked ski area offering 260km of marked pistes. The journey time of just one hour from Innsbruck makes the resort an ideal destination for short breaks. The town is famed for its après ski and nightlife and friendly locals. Ski Lifts offers a range of private andshared transfers to St Anton from Innsbruck airport.
4. Espace Killy, France – Val d’Isere and Tignes – 40-45 minutes (30km) – Eurostar runs an overnight service on Fridays and a day service on Saturdays dubbed ‘the snow train’ that runs throughout the winter. A quick transfer later and you arrive in your chosen resort, allowing you to make the most of your holiday time. Transfers from Bourg St Maurice to Val d’Isere and Tignes are becoming increasingly popular for families and groups looking to avoid long airport transfer times. Ski Lifts also provide transfers to Les Arcs, La Plagne and the Three Valleys from snow train stations.
5. Mayrhofen, Austria – 60 minutes (65km) The picturesque Tyrolean resort of Mayhofen is part of the Zillertal valley which offers a huge range of slopes including Austria’s only year-round ski area, the Hintertux glacier. The resort’s terrain and facilities also include some serious steeps and the Vans Penken Park with its 6 dedicated areas. Mayhofen has a lively nightlife and has become well-known for its annual ‘Snowbombing’ festival. Ski Lifts offer private and shared transfers to Mayrhofen from Innsbruck.
6. The French Portes du Soleil resorts (Morzine, Avoriaz, Les Gets) – 65 minutes (75km). The huge skiable domain of the Portes du Soleil is conveniently located for passengers arriving into Geneva airport. Les Gets is situated just 75km from Geneva with a journey time of approximately 65 minutes, while its close neighbours Morzine and Avoriaz are just another 5 km and 15km away, respectively. Ski Lifts offer a wide selection oftransfers to Morzine and the rest of the Portes du Soleil including shared and economy options on some routes.
7. Sauze d’Oulx, Italy – 90 minutes (90km) Sauze d’Oulx is located approximately 90 minutes from Turin airport. The resort links with Sestriere and Montgenevre to form part of the extensive Milky Way ski area. There are good slopes for all abilities including some excellent off-piste and a terrain park.
8. Megève, France – 65 minutes (87km) Megève is a bustling village with high-end restaurants, designer shops and some of the most picturesque slopes in the Alps. The resort is located close to Chamonix and St Gervais and forms part of the Evasion Mont Blanc ski area offering access to over 450km of pistes. Megève can be reached in approximately 65 minutes from Geneva airport.
9. The Grand Massif, France – 65 minutes (77km) The Grand Massif resorts of Morillon, Samoens and Les Carroz boost some of the shortest transfer times in the Alps. The closest, Morillon village can be reached in approximately one hour from Geneva dependent on road and traffic conditions. The Grand Massif comprises 5 resorts of varied terrain making up the 4th largest linked ski area in France. The area includes plenty of wide, rolling tree-lined runs as well as a snowpark in Flaine.
10. Alpbach, Austria – 52 minutes (57km) Alpbach is a small Tyrolean ‘chocolate box’ village situated just 57km from Innsbruck airport. A gondola installed in 2012 now connects the resort with its neighbour Auffach offering a combined area of 140km of pistes. This new area, Ski Juwel, offers convenient nursery slopes and a good mix of cruising intermediate runs and more challenging terrain.