Here at Ski-Lifts, we have a great working environment which is created by all employees sharing the same values. Any new employees coming into the business must share these values if they are to succeed in their career with Ski-Lifts.
- Listening skills
- Relationship builder/Charisma
- Understanding of client’s needs
- Intelligence/solution finder
- Strong work ethic
- Do the right thing
- Take control of personal development
- Search out answers
- Challenges the established thinking
- Constantly looking to improve
- Positive attitude
- Looks to find a way
- Problem solver, not maker
- Anticipates issues
Financial Controller (Finance Director Designate)
- A fast-growing and ambitious travel company with an opening for a Financial Controller to join the business at an exciting time and help drive the business to achieve its full potential.
- We are looking for an ambitious and talented professional, who can use their acumen, attention to detail and entrepreneurial vision to provide a solid platform to deliver rapid expansion.
- A hands-on role with the added opportunity to develop the finance department and implement your vision on the business.
- Suitable for an ambitious FC looking to make the next step in their career development, an experienced Senior Manager from a Top 6 accountancy practice who is looking to move into industry, or an established FD looking for an opportunity to make their mark on a growing business.
- Join the management team and work with other stakeholders on projects that have an operational, commercial and financial impact on the business.
- Expected transition to the Board of Directors within 12-months of joining the business.
- Company employee share scheme, with increased equity available for performance that drives us beyond our short-term growth ambitions.
- A proven track record in high growth businesses and successful capital raise would be beneficial.
Ski-Lifts are an established airport transfer booking agent, who works as an intermediary between airport transfer suppliers and customers. As the name suggests, our core business is currently in the ski industry, but we have other growing brands in other sectors and in the summer months. We are a UK and a French company, with our operations office in the French ski resort of Morzine and our UK head office in the heart of Manchester.
The transport sector is one of the most popular investment sectors currently, with huge well-known platforms attracting billions of dollars in investment, and we have found some as yet uncovered niches in the market which we are looking to capitalise on over the coming years.
Having been in operation for nearly 15 years, we have grown steadily year on year, developing our business practice and systems, to the point where we now have a scalable business that is ready to explode simply through the injection of greater passenger numbers and suppliers.
We have ambitious plans to grow the business exponentially over the next three years, by increasing our market share in our existing markets and simultaneously entering new markets that can be easily exploited.
We are looking for a Financial Controller to join our management team, to implement excellent financial procedures and forward forecasting. We want someone who is happy to consider and challenge business plans and strategies and offer another opinion on the direction of the business. The role should have a very quick transition to the Board of Directors and equity in the business.
As Financial Controller you will be part of the Ski-Lifts management team, reporting to the Managing Director on the financial performance of the company, ensuring that timely and relevant monthly management accounts and forecasts are produced to agreed deadlines to enable the leadership team to make well-informed commercial decisions based on sound financial information. You will be responsible for reporting to the Board of Directors on a monthly basis, outlining your objectives and producing quarterly reports for the Shareholders.
A key part of your role will be working with the directors and heads of department to agree on the 5-year strategy for how we can achieve the growth goals and then specifically developing a clear and detailed strategy for how the growth will be achieved, including work that overlaps with other departments. As each Head of department produces their plans, forecasts and budgets you will challenge, sense check and compile these into a Balance Sheet, P&L and cash flow projection.
You should have a creative business mind, comfortable in developing new business opportunities and evaluating the ROI potential. This will involve working with other heads of department to improve the product offering. It is expected that you would quickly gain an understanding of our customer, competitor and supplier landscape and how best to position ourselves for maximum growth.
You are responsible for liaising with the external accountants; ensuring the timely production of management accounts; that all supplier invoices are checked and paid on time; that employees are paid accurately and on time; that clients are invoiced accurately and promptly; that we have effective credit control against bad debt or late payment; and that we have sufficient cash or lines of credit to function to our plans at all times.
You are responsible for ensuring all necessary HR documentation is collected and any relevant governance, policy or legislation is being complied with.
You should work with the CTO to make sure all accountancy related developments that can improve efficiency, are proposed, costed and if agreed implemented in a timely manner.
Key Areas of Responsibility / Accountability
- To prepare, analyse and provide commentary on financial management information, including margin analysis by client and service line, profit and loss, balance sheets, cashflows.
- Manage and produce an annual budget and rolling forecasts through collaboration with the leadership team.
- Detailed cashflow forecasting and optimisation of any borrowings in particular with regard to seasonality.
- Manage bookkeeping, invoicing, credit control, payments cash-flow and credit lines.
- Forecasting sales pipeline, conversion versus targets and ROI of sales and marketing activities.
- To manage and report on costs versus targets, assisting business managers to run their teams cost effectively, with a clear focus on profitability.
- To provide a support service, working with all teams and the leadership team to aid and enable financial decision making, interpreting and communicating financial data to non-financial managers.
- Produce financial business cases for investment, propose the best financing options and deliver this.
- Interpreting and communicating the key actions required to meet the monthly financial targets.
- To analyse financial performance – contributing to medium and long-term business planning/forecasts.
- To offer professional judgement on financial matters and advising on ways of improving business performance.
- To manage and evaluate financial information systems and suggesting and implementing improvements where needed.
- Payroll processing, management, HR procedures and compliance.
- Liaison with external accountants, ensure they deliver a quality service and value for money.
- Year-end accounts.
- Governance, policy and legislation.
- Produce an annual departmental business plan and budget.
- Ensure company complies with VAT regulations.
- Minimise foreign currency exposures.
- Manage and develop the Finance team, ensuring team members are motivated and supported to carry out their role effectively.
Key Success Criteria/KPIs
- Ensure that consolidated monthly Balance Sheet, P&L and Cashflow forecasts are produced to agreed deadlines.
- Good departmental budget control, ensuring a cash cushion is maintained, so that the company has sufficient credit lines to allow growth at the desired rates.
- Good credit control measures are implemented to minimise the amount of bad debt the company is exposed to.
- That all staff and suppliers are paid on time and accurately.
- That all systems and documentation are best practice and that the company would stand up to an audit or due diligence in case of investment or a sale.
- That the Shareholders, Directors and management team have good visibility and understanding of key financial performance metrics.
- Must be experienced with a strong commercial awareness
- UK recognised accountancy qualification
- Good organisational, reporting skills and attention to detail
- Excellent IT skills
- A good understanding of HR procedures
- Prior experience having worked in a high growth business, or in successful equity investment raise would be preferred
- Knowledge of relevant legislation relating to our industry, or experience of French accounting practices would be advantageous
- Full time role, with six weeks annual leave inclusive of bank holidays
- Working from our Manchester office and on occasion our office in the French Alps
- An annual salary of up to £50,000 depending on experience
- Company share scheme, so the opportunity exists to own equity in the business by strongly contributing towards the company exceeding its growth targets and ambitions
- The right candidate will transition to a Director role in the business within 12-months
- There will be a three month probation period to determine whether you are suited to the role within our business.
To apply send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org